The problem with being busy doing really great things is
this blog gets a bit behind, then it becomes harder to write because I forget
most of the little details! It’s been a common problem in New Zealand and
continues to be that way!
So picking up from Auckland, somewhat shamefully, over a
month ago I left to head up to the northernmost point of the North Island, Cape
Reinga. The weather still hadn’t calmed down and the riding was cold and not as
enjoyable as it should have been through another lovely part of the country, so
a few days stay in Whangarei, the last decent sized town on the way north was
called for.
Letting the weather pass, which it does pleasingly quickly
here, on the 26th I set off to Ahipara, a little beach village with
a YHA hostel, and the perfect departure point to the long ride alongside 90
mile beach to the north point. On the way across two awesome things happened.
Firstly, I passed along the first toll road in New Zealand, which happily is
run automatically by cameras registering your number plate, then you go onto
their internet site and pay the toll electronically. Fortunately number plates
here only have six digits, and mine is seven long which boggles their
computer’s mind and lets me travel toll free! It works, I called to ask about
it, bonus!
Secondly, as people all say the good motorbikin’ is on the
South Island, I was surprised to find the most enjoyable and downright fun road
you could imagine passing over a small mountain in the middle of nowhere. Not particularly
steep, but very twisty, the road engineers decided to elaborately bank a series
of several hundred corners that gives you the sensation of being on a
rollercoaster dipping and rising around bends for about 50kms. It’s awesome and
I actually felt motion sickness at the end of it. It was even worse an hour
later after I’d turned round and rode back and forth along it again just to
check it was as good as it seemed the first time round.
 |
| The awesome banked road |
 |
| Twisting and turning on the road north |
The following day with perfect weather and bike running like
a dream, I set off up to Cape Reinga. As with many parts of New Zealand,
there’s only one road there and it’s the same road back. That said, apparently
parts of the beach are used a highway which you can ride/drive up when the
tides out. Sadly at that time, it would have meant leaving so early in the
morning it wouldn’t have been worth it, so I stuck to the road which was more
than perfectly pleasant.
 |
| The road to Cape Reinga |
 |
| Nice scenery along the coast |
 |
| Riding down a track to the dunes |
 |
| Being New Zealand, they do dune surfing! |
 |
| following the beach north |
 |
| Almost there, above a bay looking south |
Cape Reinga in comparison to Bluff down south is a delight
to ride to, a long narrow spit of land stretches through green fields with huge
yellow sand dunes poking up along the west coast making an odd looking scenery
of rolling green hills with the odd yellow one thrown in perfectly in place.
The north point is marked by a small lighthouse and the ubiquitous yellow sign
pointing to various places. Notably busier than Bluff, people mill around
asking each other to take photos and read all about the Maori history of the
area which is known as the place where
souls travel to after the person dies.
 |
| The path to Cape Reinga lighthouse |
 |
| The very north point of new Zealand |
 |
| The yellow sign |
Cape Reinga was another little milestone of my time in New
Zealand and was soon to give way to the next and final one, my friends Allen
and Kate visiting from England for a few weeks. This meant a long ride down to
Christchurch that was best done in a few long days with some time off to relax
on arrival. I picked a spot in New Brighton on the coast called strangely the
Purple Der, a purple painted home in an area badly damaged by the earthquakes
but was itself fine. The motel as such was someone’s home to which they’d added
three guest rooms in an annex off one side which were both cheap and incredibly
comfortable.
 |
| Catching a ferry on way south |
 |
| Crossing a river on the North Island |
It was a delight to stay somewhere that was within my budget
but was basically my own small apartment with private bathroom, kitchen and a
huge TV. The long beach at Brighton was just a few minutes away with a little
town centre and library, it was the perfect place to relax for a few days
before my final big ride back up to Auckland from where my bike will head home
by ferry and a few days later I’ll be overtaking it on a plane.
3 comments:
Hey, just wanted to say that this was a very well written post and I enjoyed reading it.
It's great to see someone sharing interesting information on the internet....
I am one of the visitors of your site. I hope you will show more such material or data to put in our use.
The blog contains informational and educational material. The post enhance my thoughts and experience. So nice!
I've got to scramble to keep up with your prodigious output!!!!
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.