Monday, 9 May 2011

Life in balance

Taking a break from a paperwork nightmare (you could do worse that buy shares in passport photo booths right now), time for an emo post… back to business as normal next time.

As excitement about setting off grows, to keep things in balance, doubts about everything left behind similarly grow. I’m just going to copy and paste a few lines from “The Postman’s” blog. Though it was whilst he was on the road (he did the trip in reverse, coming home to the UK from Australia) it’s freakishly close to my thoughts and I couldn’t put it any better:

To give it everything, do everything you can to get what you want and never once let go. Trying; it’s such a beautifully simple concept without any confusion as to what is meant. And we’re all doing it, even if all you’re trying to do is nothing. And what I was trying to do right now was make both these terrifically important things in my life work right now. My trip, and my relationship. But I failed. Trying wasn’t enough. It needed something else, like commitment guaranteed at the other end of this long uncertain journey. I just couldn’t give it and feel a weaker man for that.

But this all has got me thinking these last few weeks. In life we have so many things to think about at any one time. Jobs, houses, girlfriends; we’re stretched in so many directions with each demanding of so much time and dedication leaving us not knowing quite how much to give it. I’m useless at it. My mind gets muddled and I never know which problem to tackle first. It means none get solved, allowing the cycle to continue…

Am I running away from it all? Yes, I suppose I am, from the problems and dilemmas that all of us face in life. But what a way to run, on the back of a beautiful machine.
http://www.thepostman.org.uk/

Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.